Monday, September 15, 2008

Goodson's Story

Everyone has a story. Some stories are just not fair. This is the story of one of ZMF-Canada's sponsored students, this week.

Before I get into the story, let me share a bit of background. I’d been waiting for Goodson to arrive at Kalomo High School along with his 1300 plus schoolmates—as I’d paid the term three fees, but he’d not arrived on time. Starting late each term is not unusual, so I wasn’t too concerned. But, late last week just as Richard and I were heading by truck into Kalomo we passed a young cyclist flagging us down! It was Goodson! Finally, he’d showed up for school and has come to show me his report card—as kids with great marks can’t wait to do! Wrong! From the vehicle we hear Goodson’s story. It is 11:00 am and he has cycled 75 km on sandy road to see us. The day is beginning to get hot; it is now over 30 degrees Celsius.

After a warm greeting Goodson begins, “Madam, I need to speak to you about not returning to school this term.”
“But Goodson I’ve already paid your fees, this week, what’s wrong? Why aren’t you in school?”

Out of his pocket comes a lengthy tattered letter; he waits while I read.

Dear Madam;
How are you in the Lord? As for me, life is unfair. I have a problem which has gone beyond my understanding. I am writing to let you know why I did not write my end of term two exams. I was sick with stomach pain and headache. I went to the hospital and got medicine, but nothing happened. My illness disturbed me academically, because I could not attend classes. Later I told my class teacher everything about my sickness and he wrote a pass for me to go home. I went home two weeks before class ended in term two. That’s how I did not write my exams, but for now I am just okay, only that I don’t know how my life will be from now on.

My father chased me out of his home a few days after chasing my mother. The reason is because there is no food at home, so I did not prepare anything for him. My father is a drunkard, he does not buy food for the family, instead he spends on alcohol and tobacco, and when he comes he demands food for himself. So that day he found no food at home. He chased me after beating me up. Therefore, I went to Kabanga and took my younger brother and sister with me. When my mother was at home, we used to depend on a small garden. She used to sell vegetables in order to buy food for us. From the time she left, it became my responsibility for my young sister and brother.

As for now, I don’t know where to go. We can’t follow my mother because we don’t have transport money to reach the village near Mazabuka where she is now. Our uncle does not want us because he fears our father. So, I have decided to find somewhere to stay and to do something to help my younger brother and sister in terms of food and then start grade 10 again in January. This has come about because there was no way I could leave my brother and sister suffering while I’m at school. Not only that I don’t have school shoes. Please if there is any way you can help me, help me; God will bless.

Yours faithfully,
Goodson Chendela

Goodson & Dorica after receiving some help!

To say the least, at the side of the road, many emotions quickly flooded—anger, wanting to choke a father who beats his kids and wife. The father is a teacher, perfectly capable of supporting this family. Compassion—just wanting to help this very courageous and humble and very caring young sixteen year old boy!

Goodson will return to Kalomo High tomorrow, Friday. We arranged for transport (again using donations from our kids in Canada! Thanks!) for Goodson and his siblings to the village 20 km from Mazabuka where his mom is. The village is a safe place for the mom and kids, because it is the mother’s home village and far from Kabanga area.

I am going to petition Kalomo High School to transfer Goodson to Pemba High School for January 2009, so he can be closer to his mom and siblings. I will work with Goodson over the next few months to try to help him with the experience of beatings that he’s been enduring for the past three years at least. He is a very sweet boy and can have a very promising future!
And I will buy him new shoes!!
And I will not choke the father!!

Love to all – Sue K
Goodson’s story has been shared with his permission.

No comments:

RE:Socks new design

Dear manager, I hope you have an amazing day! This is Forrest from Professional sock production factory. Our as a leading manufacturer...