Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Teaching the Kasensa Child Care course

Child care classes are being taught each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays on the verandah at Kasensa.


 In 2009, the Zambia Government released the document "Minimum Standards for Child Care Facilities in Zambia". This is a GOOD document - thank you, Zambia! 


The document strongly articulates that if a child is to be in orphan care that it must be temporary and that along with Social Welfare, facility managers MUST be active in preventing, protecting, rehabilitating and reintegrating babies/children back with family. 


Again, thank you Zambia. 


Psalm 68:6 - Truth is truth - God places the lonely in families, not Kasensa. We are only here to help educate, support and re-unite! 


Also, the document states that IF a child must be in care then caregivers must have education on child care. However, up to this time in Zambia we've not found a caregiver course to send our employees to. So...Social Welfare manager - Jean (last photo) asked me to create one. 


And that's what I've done. The "minimum standards" documents outlines what course contents should be and so...while home in Canada I was able to sketch out presentations as well as obtain all sorts of additional helpful materials. SIAST in Regina donated about $300.00 worth of  early childhood education materials. Thanks SIAST. 


Do you ever wonder why God gives us certain opportunities? Many years ago I was given opportunity to teach at SIAST - and then adding to my education I was then given opportunity to be nurse educator for several years. In that time I developed many programs for staff and students as well as policy. I learned much and didn't know that God was preparing me for this job as well. But....as I grow older I think I see a bit more clearly. 


But...whipping up lessons does not come easy - it takes me HOURS to prepare for 2 hours of class time. Second, third and fourth drafts get better and easier! 


Social Welfare in Kalomo have asked me to present to the community - but for now I'll continue to "experiment" with our staff and then invite all farm workers and SFF church. 


Its now daylight - so should get ready for the town agenda - visit staff at Kalomo hospital, do pediatric rounds with the doctors,go to SW office and visit Abraham's family and run a few errands. 

No comments:

RE:Socks new design

Dear manager, I hope you have an amazing day! This is Forrest from Professional sock production factory. Our as a leading manufacturer...